Zucchini Bread with Dried Cranberries and Vanilla Bean Glaze (Serves 10 at $11.62 Total)
Zucchini Bread with Dried Cranberries and Vanilla Bean Glaze
Serves 10, estimated cost of $11.62
From Food Network Magazine. Can be mixed by hand – good to make with kids.
For the Bread:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled (or 1/2 cup vegetable oil), plus more for the pan
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour or a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries (can substitute dried cherries)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the bowl in which you make the glaze)
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly butter one 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
Flour mixture: Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add the dried cranberries.
Liquid mixture: Whisk the eggs, melted butter, yogurt, vanilla and orange zest (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in the shredded zucchini.
To make the batter: Fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes for a standard loaf. Cool 30 minutes in the pan on a rack, then remove from the pan onto the rack to cool completely.
Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla seeds in a bowl. Pour over the cooled zucchini bread and let set for at least 20 minutes before slicing into 10 servings.
This dessert can be made (including the glaze) a day ahead, and then sliced on the day of the $5 Challenge meal.